I was at my garden center and I saw this sleigh in the half price section. I immediately thought, what Santa (last weeks post) doesn’t need a sleigh. With that idea and the very attractive price, I quickly snapped it up! I planned on changing the color to fit the muted tones of the Santa I transformed. I feel much less trepidation about it after that success. With that said, I will still honor the original design of the sleigh by highlighting the areas that were meant to be featured. Lets get to it!
Here is the sleigh in it’s original form. I can not believe how lucky I was to find it. It is not only beautiful, but also substantial. It weighs fifteen pounds and measures twenty-four inches in length.
I started with a base coat of Annie Sloan Old White Chalk Paint.
It took a few coats to cover the deep red.
My brush took a beating getting into to all the crevices.
After the base coat was finished, I mixed Waverly Chalk Paint in Mineral with baking soda. This is one of my go to techniques for creating texture.
I ended up putting on two coats of the textured paint mixture.
After it completely dried, I put Waverly white wax on and wiped any excess off with a paper towel.
Making sure to get into all the crevices.
I liked how it came out, but it needed something more.
I pulled out the Rub and Buff in antique gold and started highlighting.
I wasn’t entirely happy with the way it was going. I decided to walk away from the piece for a couple days. In the past, I would have kept going and probably gone too far and would have to start over. My how I’ve grown!
After my respite, I decided it needed some pizazz. I went for the gold!
I took my time here. Every time I added gold, I would step back and assess if I should continue.
I also used white acrylic paint to accentuate the design on the body.
The finished sleigh!
Now all I need are reindeer!