Preparing the house for demo day, some updates, and new projects!

I am happy to say the renovation is still on track. The roofers put on the entire roof in two days. As with everyone who has done work on the project so far, they were very professional and obviously knew there job well. The framers will start work inside the house tomorrow. The wall between our dining room and kitchen will be coming down. To prepare for this, I have been emptying cupboards and moving furniture. I put all my furniture into the front room and covered it with plastic to try and protect it from the dust and such that will be flying around. I have been trying to work on projects intermittently during all this too. I managed to work on the pantry door and a piece of furniture that will eventually be my desk.

IMG_7353 (2) Working hard in extremely hot weather…

Finished project after only two days! Amazing!

Pantry Door

IMG_7292 (2) The pantry door had two areas that needed patching. This one which was dug out for some kind of latch.

IMG_7264 (3) And this one for a lock at one time.

IMG_7293 (2) Because these areas are so large, I will have to insert wood pieces to fill up some of the space. I made a template for the latch.

IMG_7294 (2) I cut it out of a thin piece of wood.

IMG_7296 (2) Glued it in place.

IMG_7300 (2) Once it was dry, I sanded it to make it even with the rest of the door.

IMG_7301 (2)

IMG_7303 (2) Looks great! I will fill in open spaces with spackle.

IMG_7304 (3) The lock area was a little tricky. In order to fill in the space, I used a hole saw to get the round shape I needed.

IMG_7306 (2) This is what it looked like.

IMG_7307 (2) It was not as thick as the door, but I was able to fill that in.

IMG_7313 (2) I spackled them both then sanded. I did this several times until it was completely flush with the door.

IMG_7378 (2) Once it is painted you will not even be able to tell.

Desk for my office

IMG_7344 (2) I also started to work on an antique serving table, which will serve as my desk.

IMG_7339 (2) A I started to remove all the old gunk, I noticed that it was made from burled wood. (A burl (American English) or bur or burr (UK English) is a tree growth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner. It is commonly found in the form of a rounded outgrowth on a tree trunk or branch that is filled with small knots from dormant buds).

I was correct about it being burled wood, but mine was a veneer. I used a slow setting when sanding so as to not go through the thin veneer.

IMG_7351 This is what it looked like after applying a wood conditioner. After the conditioner dried. I put on a thin coat of light oak stain. I wanted to tone down the the red color a little bit. It worked and it looks beautiful!

IMG_7369 (2) This is what the top looked like after three coats of polyurethane.
IMG_7363 I love the lines of the legs!

IMG_7376 This table is perfect for my office. It is nineteen inches wide which is great for a small office. But, it also opens up to a larger surface which I can use when working on projects.

IMG_7377 Couldn’t end without showing you the front room with all of our furniture covered up!

Next week hopefully a finished pantry door and more addition updates!

Be well and be safe!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s